“Everybody knows how to raise children, except the people who have them.” — P.J. O’Rourke
“Raising children is like chewing on a stone.” — Arab proverb
These sentiments pretty sum up the last couple of weeks for yours truly. It’s no surprise that the 3 Amigos are little rebels. After all, they are part Scottish/Viking, part Arab, and all headstrong Southern boys. Who would’ve thunk Houston, Gabriel and Zeke would each be so cantankerous and contrary in their own right?
I mean, if one pits against Mommy, she has a standing chance. But should the entire posse turn on the woman who painstakingly brought them into this world, she is chopped liver … and they know it! I suppose there’s a reason the most rewarding job on earth is also the most difficult.
Void of a sandbox, Zeke makes do by getting grungy in our “fancy” red-clay dirt patch.
Seriously, things around zoo are going well. Everyone is healthy and happy (except during time-outs, of course). Plus, Mama Zookeeper has some much-needed help headed her way. It’s finally the weekend, so Daddy will share in the upkeep, daily feedings and disciplining and/or taming of the wild animals; Auntie Merdy and Uncle Greg will celebrate Memorial Day with us; Gramsey and Papa hope to come for an overnight visit one day next week; and then Granny and Grumps will be here next weekend. Thank God for Daddy, great friends and loving parents/in-laws!
I’ve gotten a lot more adept at taking the kids out for excursions. So, now that we have our afternoons free due to the tweaked napped schedules, we’ve been hitting the road more. Sometimes, it’ll just be a trek to the grocery store for just a few staple items — since a few is all that will fit underneath our 3-child stroller — but other times, it’s just for grins and giggles.
Gabriel gets ecstatic over the freedom of feeding himself kidney beans.
Like today, we piled in the mini-van and went to a nearby lakeside nature trail, where the boys got to pet friendly dogs, see three snakes slithering in the kudzu and chat with friendly people enjoying the sunny day.
And last week, we went downtown to donate some kid stuff to one of my favorite charities and then walked to a park, where I used to frequent on exercise outings from work when I was pregnant with Houston. The boys were thrilled with the urban sights and sounds, but even more excited with the playground and the friends they made while there, tossing a football, doing the slides, getting dirty in the sandbox and playing peek-a-boo in a tunnel. It was a near-perfect trip to the big city … not to mention the first time I manned the 3 Amigos all by myself at a park.
Houston is a kid who really, really, really loves lawn mowers.
- The twins are getting so big that people sometimes ask me if all the boys are triplets.
- Last Saturday, Gabe went with me to take Stanley to his annual vet appointment. He enjoyed the time away from bros, as well as his first ride in the Pathfinder.
- Last weekend was the first Sunday in ages that we were not extremely late to church. See, I told you that we’ve gotten more adept at getting out and about … finally!
- I discovered that all the boys love raw tomatoes. I think that is a weird thing for kids to like, especially considering the twins’ oft-times finicky aversion to soft-textured foods.
- Houston turns 3 in less than a month. Can you believe it?!
- There’s a lot of wrestling going on these days. Gabriel and Zeke really hold their own against big bro. It’s a hoot!
- Veggie Tales is back in the DVD-viewing rotation and “Teen Titans” is the fave movie of the moment.
Click the top photo of Zeke to view all the May – Part 1 pics and the above shot of HL to check out the Part 2 stuff. And last but not least, thanks to all who have served and who have died to preserve my freedom and that of my children and fellow countrymen. Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!